About Ohio Book Store
James Hardwick, a native of Blacksburg, Virginia, founded the Ohio Book Store in 1940. Mr. Hardwick opened the store in a four-story building located at 544 Main Street.
In 1961, the store moved to the present location in a historic building located at 726 Main Street. The building contains five floors including the basement. Designed by Tietig & Lee, one of the leading architects of Cincinnati, the building was constructed in 1916. Designed in the gothic revival style, the beautiful terra cotta front exterior has recently been cleaned and restored. Tietig & Lee also designed the oldest classroom buildings on the University of Cincinnati campus.
The current owner of the bookstore, James Fallon (see photo at right), began working for Mr. Hardwick in 1956. Jim purchased the store in 1971, and now has worked for over 50 years at the store.
What's in Store?
The Ohio Book Store has an inventory of more than 300,000 books and magazines in stock covering all subjects.